Thursday, June 4, 2009

shears

While we were sitting in a sunny park on a perfectly warm day, R explained to me and C how he had chosen the maroon-brown snowboarding pack that he had been toting around for three years. There were certain features and decorative touches that he liked. For example, he used the cell phone pouch on the left shoulder strap for its intended purpose, something I have never seen done.

He also noted that one of the zippers had broken off. Left behind was only an aggravating metal nub which R had to wrap his pincers around to unzip the main compartment of the pack.

I just so happened to have a piece of nylon climbing cord around my wrist that would fit perfectly around the metal nub, giving R a convenient zipper pull. B had had this cord tied around her steering wheel in 2007, and when I asked her then what it was, she said, It is a nylon cord, and gave it to me.

For two years I have been wearing it around my wrist, without ever having occasion to take it off. Why would I? It was simple and unobtrusive and it reminded me of the awesomeness of B. But all good bracelets must come to an end, and here was a chance for the cord to start a new life. However, after two years of wear, some gummy residue had developed around the knots. This residue made it impossible for me to untie the cord. The loop was too small to slip over my hand.

I struggled with it for ten minutes, to no avail. Nearby was a couple enjoying the weather with their infant. I showed them the cord, told them it had been attached to me for two years, then asked if they had scissors or nail clippers. They said, Sorry, no.

Twenty minutes later, a lady with a pair of gardening shears strapped to her waist walked by. I dashed after her, wrist-first, and begged to use her shears. She said, Sure, but I won't cut it for you. Perhaps fearing a lawsuit. I said no problem and cut it myself. I returned triumphantly to R and C on the bench and tied the cord around the zipper nub.

The couple with the infant shouted over to me, "Congratulations on your new life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment